Often clients ask me how they can avoid their triggers. My response is always the same “get rid of them.” I do not mean go out of your way to avoid them; but, to take your power back by learning to place whatever the trigger is in its rightful place.
A trigger is a cue that more work needs to be done regarding a past experience. Remember that all around you others experience the same phenomena without having a strong emotional response. Taking a close look at what the trigger represents to you, exploring what memory it unlocks, and confronting what unresolved concerns are still present surrounding this stimulus/activating event.
Do you have a trigger you would like to be free of? Take a moment a write down what it is. Keeping the trigger in mind answer the following questions.
- What memories does it bring up? (be as specific as possible)
- What emotions/feelings are brought up in you?
- What do you do when faced with the trigger?
- What thoughts, feelings, and actions would you like to have instead?
- Now just answer yes or no are you willing to be uncomfortable until you have all your power back? If the answer is no stop reading here. If yes take a deep breath and continue reading.
- Write one action you can take on your journey to freedom.
- Go for it! Take that step and share your success with us.
I look forward to hearing from you.